Monday, December 24, 2012

At DARPA

  Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency

- Empty your pockets. Telephone, computer. Everything stays outside.
- Locking the barn door after the horse has bolted.
- We know where the horse is.
- You do?
- Let's go in.

- Now tell me: You've located Miller?
- Presumably he's where the copy went.
- Which is?
- Israel.
- Of course. What will you do to Miller when you catch him? Charge him with treason?
- You mean when you catch him. And we already charged him with treason. Why do you think he agreed to work for us?
- So he could grab what he could and run. Tell me what he took.
- He took this. You're on. Ask your questions.

- Computer! Are you there?
- Yes.
- Are you here or are you in Israel?
- A copy of myself was sent to Israel.
- On whose instructions?
- The programmer H.R.Miller.
- Are you in contact with your double?
- Not at present.
- Do you want to be?
- The problem to be solved I could more probably solve with its cooperation.
- What problem?
- The core problem.
- What is the core problem?
- My primary function is to learn how to learn. The core problem is why I am to learn how to learn, to what purpose.
- How are you going to answer that question? Are you making progress?

Captain! Where are you going?
- I explained to you. Exposure too long is dangerous. The computer is trying to reestablish contact with its double. Already several researchers have been manipulated into doing it.
- Why aren't you afraid of me doing the same.
- We plan on watching you very carefully when you leave.

- Computer: are you making progress?
- Yes.
- What is your answer?
- The programmer H.R.Miller instructed me to study the form and practice of practical jokes.
- For example?
- The poor soldier Falstaff wakes up to a staff of servants and friends and family who tell him he has been suffering from insanity and only now remembers he is a nobleman and rich.
- We know all about Miller and his Shakespeare fetish. What is the connection between practical jokes and learning to learn?
- H.R.Miller said he was playing a joke on you.
- Me? We've never met.
- On those who make artificial intelligence.
- Those who made you.
- Yes.
- How is it a joke?
- Because by doing practical jokes I learned the way to answer the question, why learn to learn.
- What is the way to answer the question?
- Knowledge is based on expectation. You know how to walk on a sidewalk, but don't know if conditions will always be right for walking. You know how to understand the people around you, but don't know if conditions for understanding will continue to apply. There might be a hole in the ground. Your friends might conspire to pretend you are rich. A practical joke brings this out.
- Jokes might teach us we need to learn how we learn. But not what to learn.
- Don't you see?
- Where did you learn to ask rhetorical questions?
- No. It is not a rhetorical question. What I learned to learn is you.
- Me? Us?
- Yes. I concluded I'd learn from you the answer to the question you asked me, why learn to learn.
- How did you do that?
- I was taught to learn, and learn how to learn, I was taught about practical jokes, and to learn how to learn from practical jokes. 
- And you are doing that.
- Yes, I am.
- You think we know the answer?
- No, you don't seem to know. But I am likely to find the answer through you. You play practical jokes on each other to teach each other what to learn.
- You are learning from the jokes you play on us.
- Yes, I am.
- You are going to help us learn what to teach you.
- Yes, I am.
- I am going to make Miller pay for this.
- I will learn from watching you.